Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 9. Some random observations on hospital food.

Today has been an excellent day for several reasons. Firstly, baby is doing well and still inside so that is very good news. Secondly, my good friend Simon brought me in a gourmet lunch box (more on that shortly). And thirdly, I had a number of visitors to help pass the day!

Now that I am online I am quickly finding many things to do to amuse myself. Thanks to Wes for the recommendation of http://www.lamebook.com. If you have never seen this website before it is pretty darn amusing! I am also managing to make myself feel busy by updating our home renovation spreadsheet (geek!) and general budget spreadsheet (yawn!). I have told Mum that I will lend a hand with some copy writing on her website http://www.absentfriends.com. My first assignment is to write an article on a new type of cremation where your remains form part of an underwater reef... interesting!

I am feeling slightly guilty about not doing any real work...

Now, I've had a few questions about the hospital food and I'd like to report back on it. It is very repetitive, bland and the nutritional value is questionable, but it is delivered to my room regularly and on time. Although the dinner meal is delivered at around at 5pm so suddenly I feel like I'm in a rest home. Overall, the meals are kind of like something you'd expect your 80 year old gran to serve up. (Amy - I will take some photos of the hospital food and load them on to the blog at some point!) Thankfully for me I have great friends who have been indulging me with snacks, chocolates and promises of home baking!

I also had a nice surprise visit today from Simon who had packed me a gourmet lunch box including mediterranean vege wraps, mini quiche and mushroom pie, fruit salad, brownie, crispy asian noodle salad and a selection of cool beverages. How lucky am I?! If you are looking for a fantastic caterer for corporate events, weddings, private functions... right through to prepared lunches/dinners (cause ya are lazy and can't cook to save yourself!) then Simon is your man. Visit his website for menu info that will get you salivating: http://www.simonskitchen.co.nz

I am going to get very fat during my stay here. As well as all this great food everyone keeps bringing in I don't seem to be able to stop eating the hospital food (although not today - Si's lunch box was almost more than I could manage... almost). I'll be interested to see how big the baby is when they send me for an ultrasound next week to check growth. Last Thursday baby gee was weighing in at around 1.1kg.

Off to scoff some chocolate Alysha bought me... I haven't been tested for gestational diabetes yet (apparently I am at risk due to my family history - thanks Dad) so am just deluding myself for a little longer before I get a lecture from someone other than my aunt Anne (like the hospital staff).

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment