Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day 13 Postpartum. Vinnie moves up a level.





















Vinnie continues to make great progress and is now on full feeds of 20ml every 2 hours and steadily gaining weight. I am now in a routine of visiting him each morning at 9am until around 1pm. Cam goes in after work to see him and I sometimes join him if I can detach myself from that darn pump! Although I am not stressing myself out about the expressing too much anymore after a good talking to from several wise women. Vinnie is now being supplemented with formula and is getting roughly 1/3 breast milk each day. Still waiting for those drugs to kick in!

We had some good news this morning from the consultant when he was making his rounds (with the team of interns that follow him around). Vinnie is progressing so well that he is going to be moved up a level within the ward once space is available. He is currently in level 3 which is for the really sick babies - one nurse to two babies. As soon as there is room he will be moving in to a level 2 room, which has one nurse to four babies. He is also due to finish his course of antibiotics tomorrow so all the lines will be coming out of his arm. Over the next couple of weeks they will be trying to wean him off the CPAP machine depending on how his breathing is going.

Vinnie and I had some extra long cuddles today (3 hours!). He is quite a little grizzler when the nurse picks him up out of the incubator but as soon as she puts him on me he stops his grizzling and promptly goes to sleep. Granny and Cam both saw Vinnie out of the incubator for the first time today and Cam will hopefully get to have a cuddle with him on Sunday... he has been so busy with work/house renovations to date... poor Daddy has been missing out.

I am feeling better each day and starting to move around much more easily... not quite ready to run a marathon yet though! It is quite frustrating not being able to drive myself anywhere but luckily I have an awesome family that are running around picking me up/dropping me off.

So, all good news to report. Will send some updates on Sunday of Daddy having his first cuddle with Vinnie :-)
































No comments:

Post a Comment